.

.

Monday 13 February 2012

Ghost Ship - Wales

November 2011.....

I need a sat nav, I'm totally useless with maps and directions, given that I was a Boy Scout (admittedly years ago). Urban Spaceman had been grounded by his Mrs and was messing around in his shed pretending to be tweaking his new bike following the return of his midlife crisis.

North Wales, not far, so off I set with nice simple directions only to be not able to find this place and the town/village wasn't sign posted.

So I ended up on a beach in some quaint little holiday backwater and little or no signal on the phone


 Lighthouse (Wales)


 Wandering around on a beach and dunes looking down the coast to grasp a glimpse of anything remotely looking like a boat, but alas nothing.

Back to the car, then I remembered something about a railway - this would be so much easier if I had a sat nav or Urban Spaceman would stop pissing his Mrs off.

So I drove down some country roads (bloody hell a train !) a little inland from the coast a bit and bingo I saw it, it was a sight for sore eyes - a vision of urbex beauty, it was a ship in the bushes !

I parked up in a little shopping village car park, and set off down a public footpath towards the ship.

This is where I issue a public warning, an earlier txt from the Urban Spaceman nagged in the back of my mind - watch your back, the locals are a bit funny about this ship and bad things have happened to Urbexers and photographers (even on the footpaths). I had also got bad vibes from various snippets on t'tinernet.

But from the BBC's own website here's some info on the beast.

"The Duke of Lancaster, also known as Mostyn's Fun Ship, has long been left in a dry dock on the Dee Estuary at Mostyn, near Holywell. According to local historians, it was a former Heysham to Belfast car ferry which operated in the 1950-60s, and later ran cruises before becoming an amusement arcade and bar at its present location before being closed"


Duke of Lancaster



Duke of Lancaster



Duke of Lancaster



Duke of Lancaster



Duke of Lancaster



Ghost Ship


Duke of Lancaster



Duke of Lancaster



 Duke of Lancaster



 So as wandered back to the car, who came tearing down the other footpath in a 4x4 ? the bloody coastguard all lights blazing who jump out the car ran to the spot I'd been taking my pictures not 5 minutes before, hmmmm - time to leave.

Anyway I drove home with my "just popping out for a couple of hours" trip running to about 6 hours, so I'm grounded.


- Jan 2012

flew over that area on Monday, spotted the lighthouse and then the ship round the corner (just at the last minute) - cut a long story short I will be returning to take some more pics of the ship, a bit like this


  Lighthouse - revisited


Update 7th May 2012 - return visit in the plane


No comments:

Post a Comment